A little bit of this, a little bit of that.
Turns out I lost around 150 hours on Machine City. The entire script parsing system has to be rewritten from scratch.
So, I took a step back and made a free puzzle game called "Rettamitna". It's about a meg - larger than I would like, but Torque 2D isn't intended for such simple games.
It's very simple. The objective is inspired by too much KD. There's a grid of different size balls, some red, some green. You can shift a row left or right. When you do so, any ball larger than the ball beneath it drops down and combines with the lower ball. If the balls are the same color, this makes the ball bigger. If the balls are a different color, it makes the ball smaller. (A red flash means you combined different color balls. A green flash means you combined same-color balls.)
My high score is near 300. Can you break 300?
This is not a polished product. I built it in about 3 hours, including testing and release packaging. It has some ugliness in it, and if you try to "spin" the rows too fast, it can "drop" balls. This costs you the potential for points, but perhaps you can figure out a way to do it to actually get badly placed balls out of the way...
The game is easily malleable. Any number of colors can be done, and any size board. But I decided two colors was plenty challenging.
Think carefully, and have a great download.
So, I took a step back and made a free puzzle game called "Rettamitna". It's about a meg - larger than I would like, but Torque 2D isn't intended for such simple games.
It's very simple. The objective is inspired by too much KD. There's a grid of different size balls, some red, some green. You can shift a row left or right. When you do so, any ball larger than the ball beneath it drops down and combines with the lower ball. If the balls are the same color, this makes the ball bigger. If the balls are a different color, it makes the ball smaller. (A red flash means you combined different color balls. A green flash means you combined same-color balls.)
My high score is near 300. Can you break 300?
This is not a polished product. I built it in about 3 hours, including testing and release packaging. It has some ugliness in it, and if you try to "spin" the rows too fast, it can "drop" balls. This costs you the potential for points, but perhaps you can figure out a way to do it to actually get badly placed balls out of the way...
The game is easily malleable. Any number of colors can be done, and any size board. But I decided two colors was plenty challenging.
Think carefully, and have a great download.

6 Comments:
My condolances, losing work is a tradegy only bested by a re-design which turns out to be much better. Think of this as an opportunity... hah, now I'm really sounding like a nieve optimist.
The "opportunity" would be to wholly throw aside the shmup and move on to another product. Roughly half the programming work is gone.
You know, the Chinese ideogram for "crisis" also means "holy shit we're all going to die what the hell is going on here aaaaaaargh".
That's represented by these two symbols, right?
Sorry man, that definetly sucks. I guess re-coding software is different from re-writing prose.
Well, I don't know. I think if I lost 150 hours of writing, I'd probably feel about the same way.
I'll get over it. Right now, I'm already digging into HMH!
Post a Comment
<< Home