Friday, January 13, 2006

Perspective shifts?

I just wrote an article on my personal blog about the importance of perspective shifts in games. Let no man (or woman) say I do not practice what I preach!

Her Majesty's Hackers is a game based around the idea of perspective shifts. Your area grows and shrinks. Your technologies get weirder and more game-altering. Your people change and intermingle in continuously varying - but comprehensible - ways. And, of course, escaped inventions get radically more dangerous as you scale up the curve.

Oh, and, of course, the whole world slowly changes in the background.

There are no radical, sudden perspective shifts planned into the game, mostly because it would take a significant amount of programming and I don't care to add on to the dev time. But I am confident in the design's enjoyability as it stands.

Back to work!

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Poulton said...

Hey Craig,

I just wanted to say I'm really excited about Her Majesty's Hackers. I was looking forward to Machine City to see the PAC stuff in action, but I've never been much of a shmups player. HMH sounds right up my alley, though. Can't wait to see it in action.

I quite enjoyed your thoughts on perspective shifts, it's something I've focused a lot on in most of my game designs (or game ideas I guess, can't really call them designs until I actually do something with them), especially since playing Katamari Damacy.

Keep on rocking,
Eric

4:03 AM  
Blogger Craig Perko said...

It is always nice to hear that. I'll do my best!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home